With approximately 6,500 staff, more than $6 billion in fixed and other assets and more than 6,500 kilometres of track, Queensland Rail (QR) is an integrated customer and rail infrastructure business servicing the passenger, tourism, resources and freight customer markets throughout Queensland. The organisation aims to be the safest, best performing and most customer focused railway in Australia.
We have an exciting opportunity available for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Maintenance Engineering team. This role is primarily responsible for performing mechanical engineering functions to improve the safety, availability, reliability and cost effectiveness of Queensland Rail’s Rollingstock Fleet. This is a permanent opportunity based at Mayne Yard in Bowen Hills. The hours are Monday to Friday 38 hours per week.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical assistance and advice to rollingstock maintenance.
- Monitor rollingstock performance, carry out tests, analyse and make recommendations to improve the reliability and performance of rollingstock and associated equipment.
- Conduct quality audits on rollingstock maintenance procedures and practices in accordance with established standards.
- Develop scopes of work, specifications, instructions, design drawings and any other documents to the required standards for rollingstock maintenance.
- Monitor the performance of servicing facilities and evaluate the suitability of equipment and work practices used in relevant depots.
- Manage modifications to parts and equipment, including problem solving and fault finding, reliability, modifications, upgrades and general maintenance.
- Liaise with technical and trade staff and other Queensland Rail staff regarding rollingstock maintenance issues.
- Use existing corporate maintenance management system and any other required PC based system to produce performance reports.
We are seeking interest from people who have:
- A Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Previous mechanical engineering experience with rolling stock or other heavy industry background
- High level of skill in the implementation of quality improvement principles in relation to rollingstock reliability and performance.
- Substantial skill in undertaking technical investigations, rollingstock tests, problem solving, trial modifications and preparation of technical reports.
- Substantial skill in developing maintenance systems, strategies, scopes of work and modifications to improve rollingstock performance
- High level of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Position Description 76835 (4).pdf
The recruitment and selection process for this position might require shortlisted applicants to undertake Psychometric Assessment, Pre-Employment Health Assessment, Video Screen and background checks that might also include Criminal History and Credit Checks.
As Queensland Rail is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, we encourage women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, and members of other diverse groups to apply.
Apply to position number 76835 via our website by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining relevant experience by 5:00pm, Thursday the 12th of September 2019. Please do not email your application. We can only accept applications received via our website.