Transdisciplinary Research Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
- Join CSIRO, Australia's premier scientific research organisation
- Contribute to the development of a program with a team of multi-disciplinary scientists
- Support the sustainable use of Australia's marine resources
This position will provide the successful applicant with opportunities to play a role in the development of a strong program of research within a multi-disciplinary group of more than 30 scientists working to support the sustainable use of Australia's marine resources.
The successful applicant will need to be willing to travel, teach/supervise students and be responsible for the development and leadership of projects developing expertise and skill in interfacing across disciplines and from science to potential users in industry, regulatory institutions and other stakeholder institutions.
Specifically you will:
- Provide a transdisciplinary bridge to assist in the application and uptake of risk assessment and ecosystem models including ecological and integrated ecosystem assessments, CONNIE, CORSA, Atlantis, Ecopath with Ecosim and multispecies/ecosystem models of intermediate complexity (MICE).
- Analyse and collate data on the implementation and barriers to uptake of the tools so as to (I) improve the use of the tools and understanding of marine connectivity, risks and opportunities and (ii) improve the representation of human dimensions in socioecological models.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research and the delivery of applied science that supports sustainable use and management of coastal and marine resources.
Location: Hobart, TAS
Salary: AU $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate and or equivalent postgraduate research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as knowledge exchange, stakeholder engagement and transdisciplinary research around the science–policy interface (particularly in the domain of resource governance).
- Research experience in how to effectively communicate science to people with diverse background to maximise uptake or to understand why past failures occurred.
- Experience in the initiation of original research work and development of innovative approaches to research problems.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- A record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: Please upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter providing enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Please view the full position details and instructions on how to apply here: Position Details
Applications Close: Sunday 6 May 2018
- Closing Date:
- 06 May 2018
- TAS - Hobart
- AU $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Education & Training
Natural Resources and Water