Farm Hand / Technical Officer
Farm Hand / Technical Officer
- Varied farming and technical support to agricultural research staff
- Hands on role in sheep and cattle husbandry, and farm maintenance
- Join CSIRO, Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
The role of Technical Staff (Farm Hand) in CSIRO is to provide support for scientific research in a diverse range of laboratory and field situations across a range of different research projects. The Armidale Farm Operations Team is focused on providing a wide range of services and support to all research projects at Armidale. The Farm Hand will require demonstrated hands on sheep and cattle husbandry experience, farm maintenance skills, advanced computer skills, a strong commitment to teamwork and safe work practices.
Your duties will include:
- Maintain a high level of technical (Farm Hand) support to research staff.
- Maintain experimental sheep selection flocks and associated data recording tasks and activities.
- Assist with compliance to quality assurance programs, animal ethics and quarantine protocols.
- Provide a high level of care to ensure livestock are maintained in a healthy state.
- Muster animals to perform both industry standard husbandry procedures and planned research activities.
- Assist with livestock identification procedures including electronic tagging and tracking.
- Monitor flystrike incidence and worm burdens and assist with treatment of animals where appropriate.
- Assist with the maintenance of facilities/infrastructure such as pens, yards, fences and livestock watering points.
- Assist with pest animal and noxious weed control.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Use a variety of IT programs and technology such as drones to support research activities and general farming operations.
Location: Armidale, NSW
Salary: AU$61k – AU$78k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Demonstrated experience in the safe operation of agricultural plant and machinery items.
- Demonstrated experience in animal nutrition and supplementary feeding options.
- Sound pasture assessment and fodder budgeting skills.
- Experience in livestock management including documenting and planning both routine industry standard and research-based livestock husbandry events, procedures and practices.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally based operations team and carry out tasks under general direction from the Farm Manager.
- Knowledge of and a commitment to actively work towards improved Occupational Health and Safety outcomes and safe working practices.
- Possess advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office suite – commercial based livestock/property software/apps), attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 April 2021, 11:00 pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 18 Apr 2021
- NSW - Armidale
- AU$61k – AU$78k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time