Senior Project Manager - SKA Infrastructure - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Project Manager - SKA Infrastructure
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, in the areas where we live and work across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Unique opportunity to contribute to a high-profile, global initiative – the SKA
- Coordinate multiple stakeholders on behalf of the SKA Observatory to achieve optimal outcomes
- Flexible location options – Perth or Geraldton, with on-site inspections at the remote MRO
CSIRO’s Space and Astronomy business unit (S&A) builds and operates radio telescopes around Australia, including the iconic Parkes “Dish” (Murriyang) and the Australia Telescope Compact Array in Narrabri. CSIRO is playing a lead role in the development of the world’s most capable radio telescopes, with the Australian telescope, SKA-Low, to be built at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO), in Western Australia. The MRO is situated on Boolardy Station, approximately 320km inland from Geraldton, and is a world-class radio-astronomy observatory that already hosts telescopes including the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) and the Murchison Widefield Array (MWA).
As the Senior Project Manager for SKA infrastructure, you will be responsible for overseeing NEC4 infrastructure contracts, which cover the infrastructure work associated with the construction of the SKA, as well as the deployment of the first on-ground deliverables of the telescope. You will have oversight of the professional services subcontractors responsible for coordination and delivery of work, including project managers, supervisors, quantity surveyors, quality assessment, contract compliance, management of the team, delivery of progress reports and financial management of the contracts. As a “client’s representative” role, the contracts for the construction work will be placed by the client (SKAO), and CSIRO and its subcontractors will provide the professional services to ensure delivery.
The position is based in Perth or Geraldton, but requires occasional travel to the MRO, other CSIRO sites in Australia and potentially overseas. CSIRO Space and Astronomy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. This role is offered on a full-time, part-time or job-share basis.
In this role you will:
- Lead and participate in HSE activities and help drive a safe culture.
- Lead the Infrastructure PSC team to deliver contract oversight and related compliance services to the SKAO.
- Take responsibility for the effective delivery of the PSC contract (including sub-contracts), within NEC4 guidelines, on behalf of the client.
- Utilise client and CSIRO systems to ensure budgets, resources, quality, risks, Early Warnings Register and schedules are managed appropriately.
- Manage the provision project tracking documentation to the client and CSIRO management.
- Build strong client relationships, manage conflicting requirements, and promptly correct problems or facilitate solutions.
Location: Kensington (Perth) or Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$141k - AU$157k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
(or market competitive salary on negotiation)
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years (with possibility of extension)
(Full-time, part-time or job-share)
To be considered you will need:
1. i) A minimum of approximately 10 years of experience in all aspects of large and complex project management, including the life cycle of infrastructure projects with budgets above $30m; or
ii) A degree in a relevant engineering, construction or project management discipline combined with approximately 5-10 years of relevant experience in all aspects of large and complex project management, including the life cycle of infrastructure projects with budgets above $20m.
2. Experience performing the role of client’s representative.
3. The ability to successfully lead and oversee multiple complex contracts (including sub-contractors) with high compliance requirements.
4. A record of effective team management, including the ability to motivate and communicate across a range of technical areas.
5. A familiarity with structured project management concepts and a working knowledge of Primavera, Microsoft Project or a similar tool.
6. Strong knowledge of, and commitment to, safe working practices, environmental management, and equal employment opportunities.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
Applications are open to:
- Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents
- New Zealand Citizens
- Australian temporary residents who have the right to work for the expected duration of the term (at least to end of March 2025), with no requirement for sponsorship.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Appointment to this role may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Sunday 13 February, 2022 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 13 Feb 2022
- AU$141k - AU$157k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time