Deputy Director - Mineral Resources - [Archived Advertisement]
Deputy Director - Mineral Resources
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Translate science to industry impact as part of a global research business
- Engage with industry and across the business to advance science delivery
- Collaborative environment with incredible flexibility and work conditions
Australia’s mining activities, resource companies, technology and services SMEs are a major pillar of the Australian economy. CSIRO Mineral Resources’ purpose is to assist this Australian industry by delivering science and technology options for the discovery and safe, sustainable development of Australia’s mineral endowment, and effectively provide the access to resources that will enable a sustainable planet. The sustainable development of Australia’s resources will require a new wave of technology and translation to industry over our next strategy period, including a greater focus on environmental, social and corporate governance and performance.
As the Deputy / Science Director you will play a leading role in the provision of scientific vision, leadership and direction to the Business Unit while ensuring CSIRO remains scientifically competitive. You will lead the development and implementation of a strategic plans and the Mineral Resources strategic science directions. The Deputy Director will also work with other Deputy /Science Directors to ensure appropriate capability is maintained/developed across CSIRO’s portfolio of Business Units to properly execute CSIRO’s strategy. Managing key scientific relationships and alliances with the Business Unit’s partners to ensure optimal competitive positioning, organisational alignment, and science delivery in the national interest is also a key aspect of this role.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: Strategic science leadership to ensure Mineral Resources remains globally scientifically competitive; develop and promote a culture of excellence focused on national/international impact; drive effective development, utilisation and delivery of Mineral Resources research capability; develop new science platforms/ideas and translate into impact science areas; and actively participate in CSIRO Science Council and other committees.
- Capability Leadership: Strive for “Zero Harm” through a commitment to a healthy, safe and environment; shape science capability through partnerships and collaborations to meet future science opportunities, program goals and impact pathways; support Mineral Resources Leadership Team to attract, develop, and retain world class talent; undertake leadership development and succession planning for Research Directors and science leaders, to build the leadership pipeline; and monitor long-term science trends to forecast capability demand.
Engagement & Partnership: Manage external relationships to advance CSIRO’s interests, science delivery, and impact; represent CSIRO’s capability nationally and internationally; build strategic alliances with industry and the university community to collaboratively execute CSIRO’s strategy; lead Mineral Resources engagement in and development of national initiatives and precincts; build relationships that traverse Business Unit boundaries; and lead reviews; promotion processes and proposals.
- Resource Leadership: Develop medium and long-term plans for future science infrastructure; work with the Mineral Resources Leadership Team to ensure that capability, resources, and strategic investments are effectively prioritised and deployed; and manage CSIRO Fellows located within Mineral Resources.
Location: Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney preferred
Salary: AU$222k – AU$250k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- An established reputation in applied research and development in mineral resources.
- Evidence of successful leadership of platform, discovery and impact science at the scale of CSIRO Mineral Resources.
- Strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows new science opportunities and supports commercial outcomes.
- A track record in supporting a senior leader in optimal positioning, organisational alignment, and science delivery in the national interest.
- Demonstrated track record in planning for science infrastructure to meet short and long term needs.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid working visa. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 January 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2022
- AU$222k – AU$250k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time