Licensed Electrician - SKA-Low Telescope (SKA-Low)
Licensed Electrician - SKA-Low Telescope (SKA-Low)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Unique opportunity with flexible work options
- Live in the scenic coastal location of Geraldton; work in the great Australian outback!
- Make a difference! Support a significant international project led by the SKA Observatory
The SKA Observatory (SKAO) is a next-generation radio-astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. It is one observatory with two telescopes – SKA-Low in Western Australia and SKA-Mid based in South Africa. SKAO is managed from its headquarters in the United Kingdom and has responsibility for SKAO construction and operation globally. Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO, and SKAO will operate the SKA-Low telescope in partnership. Under the collaboration agreement with the SKAO, CSIRO is offering a one-of-a-kind opportunity for a Licensed Electrician to work on the SKA-Low Telescope.
Based at our Engineering Operations Centre in Geraldton, with significant time spent onsite at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO), you will perform scheduled and unscheduled electrical maintenance of the SKA-Low Telescope and associated site infrastructure. At times, you will also be required to perform high voltage switching operations according to site procedures. Maintaining reports using SKAO’s state-of-the-art software management tools and databases, you will ensure all work is performed in accordance with safety guidelines and procedures. The MRO has comfortable accommodation facilities, and will soon have a purpose built construction camp.
CSIRO and the SKA Observatory value and respect difference and we are committed to building an inclusive culture by creating an environment where you can balance a successful career with your commitments and interests outside of work. We believe that you will do your best at work if you have a work / life balance and we will work with you to structure the role in a way which supports you.
In this role you will:
- Undertake installation, commissioning, maintenance, and equipment upgrades across a range of industrial electrical and electronic systems.
- Perform the role of electrical nominee for the SKA site.
- Maintain accurate maintenance logs, electrical drawings and documentation.
- Communicate with and influence stakeholders in relevant electrical regulations and requirements.
- Supervise electrical contractors as required when working at the site and provide guidance to junior SKA-Low electrical team members.
- Schedule work to meet future demand and use discretion to decide on required methods and approaches.
- Participate in the after-hours on-call systems, attend to after-hours breakdowns and work flexible hours as required.
- Ensure test equipment, spares, consumables and other workshop equipment are well stocked and maintained.
- Provide assistance and undertake collaborative projects with colleagues and other stakeholders.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Full-time, job-share or part-time (minimum 60 hours per fortnight)
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant trade qualification for an Electrician (unrestricted WA Electrical Licence, or ability to obtain), with High Voltage Switching qualification and experience.
- The ability to work safely and effectively as part of a small engineering team with minimal supervision.
- Practical knowledge of the design and installation and relevant standards of electrical switchboards and electrical distribution systems.
- Experience planning and conducting the maintenance, repairs, fault finding and diagnosis of electrical systems.
- Experience using industry relevant software systems.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian or New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
About the SKA Observatory
The SKA Observatory is coordinating a global effort to deliver the largest science facility on the planet. The SKA Observatory will build next-generation radio telescopes that will help to answer key questions in astrophysics, drive technological innovation and support human capital development.
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 2 June, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 02 Jun 2022
- AU$102k - AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time