Research Scientist - Geophysics
Research Scientist - Geophysics
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical experience in geophysical and petrophysical data acquisition, analysis and interpretation
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Mobile Petrophysical Laboratory (MPL)
- Join the CSIRO Discovery Program – a diverse team working together on applied research to deliver impact in mineral exploration!
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders. The CMR Discovery Program aims to be a truly diverse team that reflects the diversity that we see in society, and comprises an enthusiastic multidisciplinary team of STEM researchers, all focused on developing new technologies and concepts for exploration through cover and advancing orebody knowledge.
As the Research Scientist - Geophysics, you will work as part of a multidisciplinary group of CSIRO researchers, external clients, including industry, CRC’s, and other government agencies, on research relevant to the mineral exploration industry. In this role, you will be focused on advancing modelling and interpretation of potential field data, developing methods to handle and integrate petrophysics data, and contribute to the development and implementation of the Mobile Petrophysical Laboratory (MPL). You will utilise petrophysical data, acquired using the MPL and other facilities, along with other geoscience data to inform geological understanding and derived interpretations for exploration through covered regions in various geological settings from regional to prospect scale. You will also be involved in investigating the link between detailed petrophysical measurements of core and outcrop and airborne and ground geophysical data.
Your duties will include:
- Investigate geophysical and petrophysical data at a range of scales, focusing on advancing processing, inversion, and interpretation of these data within a geological context.
- Integrate geophysics and petrophysics data sets, in 1D, 2D and 3D, to develop novel methods for data analysis, integration and product derivation.
- Draw on professional expertise, knowledge of multiple disciplines (e.g., geology, geophysics, mineralogy, geochemistry, remote sensing) and research experience.
- Communicate openly and effectively onsite, virtually, in the laboratory or field with internal and external colleagues, clients, and partners to develop and progress research outcomes and maintain productive stakeholder relationships.
- Recognise opportunities for innovation and incorporate novel approaches to research to deliver high-impact outcomes of strategic relevance to the minerals industry.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Kensington, Perth, WA
Salary: AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 year specified term, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD or equivalent applied research/industry experience in the field of geophysics.
- Demonstrated experience in the theoretical understanding of magnetics, gravity and associated physical rock properties.
- Demonstrated experience in analysis and interpretation of magnetic and gravity geophysical data and petrophysical data.
- Experience in the use of robust magnetic and gravity processing and forward and inversion codes.
- Skills in petrophysical data acquisition, processing, and interpretation.
- Experience in collaboration with stakeholders on the application of potential field geophysical data and petrophysical data.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a multidisciplinary and diverse research team, and the motivation and discipline to carry out independent research to achieve organisational goals.
- A record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations.
- Experience in combining geophysical data sets, petrophysics and geological data for the determination of rock properties.
- Understanding the methods used by the minerals and/or oil and gas industry to utilise petrophysical data for exploration.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian/ New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a National Police check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Monday 11th July 11:00pm AEST.
- Closing Date:
- 11 Jul 2022
- WA - Kensington
- AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type: