Senior Research Scientist - Ore Enrichment Technologies
Senior Research Scientist - Ore Enrichment Technologies
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring your minerals processing expertise & project management skills into a diverse role
- Support CSIRO’s strategic transition from coal to minerals & wider mining environment
- Excellent growth opportunity and collaborative team environment!
We are seeking an experienced and skilled Senior Research Scientist, with a background in minerals processing, to join our dynamic Ore Enrichment Technologies (OET) team within CSIRO Mineral Resources business unit!
The Ore Extraction Technologies (OET) team has unique capabilities that are critical to the optimisation of ore recovery through the various mechanical separation techniques using physical characteristics size, density, and electro-magnetic responses. The team currently has number of research projects that focus on multi-use technologies that can be applied in other mineral domains. Other strategic minerals research is also being undertaken to match industry requirements with team expertise and capability. Contributing significantly to CSIRO’s Sustainable Mining Technologies strategic transition to the wider mining environment, this role will encompass minerals other than coal, and will play a leading role in broadening the capability to focus on iron ore and critical energy minerals.
In this role, you will have key responsibilities in project management, new project development and assisting the team leader in the management of the team. You will bring your scientific expertise to support the investigations into work in dewatering, tailings re-use and reduction, iron ore processing optimisation (dry processing), ultra-low ash value coal cleaning for carbon feedstock (carbon ore), and mineral sands processing.
This will be an exciting opportunity for you to join a well-connected group of research & industry specialists, and CSIRO will offer you excellent career development and professional support!
Your duties will include:
- Using professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience & achievement to formulate, develop and complete an approved research program.
- Undertaking feasibility studies, demonstrating a considerable degree of originality, creativity & innovation in solving problems and introducing new directions & approaches.
- Developing challenging but realistic research plans and negotiating resource requirements with research managers or clients.
- Taking responsibility for smaller research projects or elements of larger projects within and/or across Business Units.
- Acting as a trusted advisor, utilising knowledge of the clients’ business and understanding of their underlying needs, as well as identifying & adapting quickly to changes in client needs and market directions.
- Leading and supervising staff to ensure experiments are established in accordance with the research design and are completed within the agreed timeframes and budget.
Location: Pullenvale (Brisbane), QLD
Salary: AU$117K – AU$138K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Chemical Engineering or Mineral processing.
- Demonstrated research experience in mineral and/or coal processing.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in mineral/coal/tailings dewatering and/or tailings re-use.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- A current Australian driver’s licence.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 July 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 24 Jul 2022
- QLD - Pullenvale
- AU$117K – AU$138K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: