Metro is a multi-award winning organisation, and we pride ourselves on our team of honest, high performing professionals who are talented, inclusive and safety focused and who are at the core of our success. You will be joining an organisation that is known as a global leader in its field but also prides itself on being dynamic, embracing new technologies and focused on customer service. Our aim is to promote work/life balance, allow team members to bring their best to work and to truly be focused on a common goal which is to provide a world-class railway service.
We are currently looking for a Head of Operations and Maintenance to support the successful delivery of what will be one of the most iconic projects in Melbourne, the highly anticipated Melbourne Airport Rail (MAR) Project!
The MAR Operations & Maintenance team plays a critical role in transforming MTM to deliver and integrate Melbourne’s first passenger train service to the airport and ensure a world class passenger experience for all visitors and residents.
About the role
Reporting into the General Manager of Operations and Maintenance, the Head of Operations and Maintenance will work within the MAR Integrated Program and Systems (IPAS) team to ensure that MTM’s People and Processes work cohesively with the MAR delivered assets and systems, ready to operate and maintain on Day One. The role forms part of the MTM MAR project leadership team, and will work closely with the MAR project director and delivery packages.
This is a full-time permanent role, primarily based in Melbourne’s CBD.
- Develop a dependable partnership between the MTM Business and MAR O&M Team so as to deliver MTM’s operational readiness in an expert and efficient manner.
- Lead the team to define MTM’s Operational Readiness requirements and feed into key documents including System management plans, Package Contracts and the MAR Integrated Program.
- Responsible for the planning the implementation and integration of MAR changes into the MTM Business through collaboration with the Metro Tunnel team, MTM’s Operational Readiness Team and MTMs service delivery teams.
- Coordinate and advise on operational readiness activities during the project lifecycles ensuring MTM is available to deliver operational readiness activities expertly and efficiently as assigned through the IPAS Team.
- Manage the MAR O&M Team and User Reference Groups ensuring adequate O&M participate in the development of project requirements, design review, risk assessments, commissioning and handover activities, resourcing MAR with appropriate O&M subject matter experts (SME) throughout the Project Lifecycle.
- Support MTM’s Chief Operating Officer, Executive Director Network Assets & Assurance and MAR General Manager Operations and Maintenance to make informed and dynamic decisions that will influence the day one outcomes for MAR and the network.
- Support the MAR Project Director to make informed and dynamic decisions that will influence delivery of the MAR Integrated Program in respect to operational readiness.
- Responsible for planning and executing MAR Trial Operations, including Driver Familiarisation, Procedure Validation Exercises, Reliability Growth Trips and Timetable Proving, in order to satisfactorily demonstrate Business Readiness to MTM’s Change Control Board and support relevant State led Project Assurance forums
- Accountable for providing O&M advice to support activities governed under MTM’s Safety Management Systems i.e. SME review of Standard Waivers, Type Approvals, Engineering Change, Management of Change.
- Manage the development and maintenance of effective relationships with key stakeholders, including MTM internal stakeholders and other associated parties in order to meet project targets objectives and milestones.
- Align the team to Metro’s strategic plan and business objectives in enabling resourcing, performance, capability and wellbeing to foster a high-performance team.
- Build and sustain lasting relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders to help promote a collaborative and open ‘one team’ culture.
- Tertiary qualification in either Engineering, Rail Operations, Change Management or, Project Management related disciplines.
- Extensive experience in Major Projects and/or Operational Readiness in a regulated industry.
- Experience in managing cross functional teams and/or stakeholders with competing needs.
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and leading high performing teams
- Ability to develop strong and effective stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to work in a matrix style organisation, responsible to more than one business unit.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff (verbal and written).
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and influence opinions.
- Ability to read technical and non-technical terms.
- Ability to schedule work priorities to ensure deadlines are strictly adhered.
- Strong leadership and stakeholder management skills.
- A passion for coaching and influencing outcomes.
Why join the MAR team?
- Build your career on a high-profile project with an exciting pipeline of work.
- Work with a team of passionate professionals changing how Melbournians travel around our city.
- We are dedicated to empowering our team & providing long-term career development opportunities.
- This is a fantastic and high profile opportunity to build on the career you have developed to date and be part of the legacy that ‘connects people and places for a growing Melbourne’.
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on the career you've developed to date and take it to the next level by making a tangible impact that matters.
If what you have read resonates with your values, experience and career aspiration then please submit your application by COB 21 November 2021.
For more information, please contact Yvette Michael, Talent Partner
Metro Trains is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We encourage all interested applicants to apply but please do note only applications with the right to live and work in Australia will be considered for this position