Farm Hand / Technical Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Farm Hand / Technical Officer
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea, and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Hands-on role in livestock husbandry and general farm maintenance
- Wide-ranging farming & technical support to agricultural research staff
- Work with a cooperative team at Australia’s Premier Science Agency – CSIRO!
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Farm Hand to work collaboratively as part of CSIRO’s Armidale Farm Operations Team and provide key technical/farm operations support at the Chiswick Research Station near Armidale.
Our Chiswick Research Station undertakes research on solutions for the sheep, cattle, and poultry industries. As a key member of the team, you will bring your demonstrated hands-on experience in sheep and cattle husbandry, farm maintenance skills, and advanced computer skills to assist in all projects and contribute to the successful research undertaken by CSIRO Agriculture & Food business unit.
Your duties will include:
- Maintaining a high level of technical (Farm Hand) support to research staff.
- Maintaining experimental sheep selection flocks and associated data recording tasks and activities.
- Assisting with compliance to quality assurance programs, animal ethics and quarantine protocols.
- Providing high level of care to ensure livestock are maintained in a healthy state.
- Mustering animals to perform both industry standard husbandry procedures and planned research activities.
- Assisting with livestock identification procedures including electronic tagging and tracking.
- Monitoring flystrike incidence & worm burdens and assisting with treatment of animals where appropriate.
- Assisting with the maintenance of facilities/infrastructure such as pens, yards, fences, and livestock watering points.
- Assisting with pest animal and noxious weed control.
- Using a variety of IT programs and technology such as drones to support research activities and general farming operations.
Location: Armidale, NSW
Salary: AU$66K to AU$84K + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full time
To be considered you will need:
- High School Certificate with proven numeracy and literacy skills, Trades Certificate, Diploma in Agricultural Science, and/or equivalent experience.
- Current Australian manual driver’s licence.
- Proven experience in the safe operation of agricultural plant and machinery items, and animal nutrition and supplementary feeding options.
- Sound pasture assessment and fodder budgeting skills.
- Experience in livestock management including documenting and planning both routine industry standard and research-based livestock husbandry events, procedures & practices.
- Knowledge and the commitment to actively work towards improved Occupational Health and Safety outcomes and safe working practices.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office suite – commercial based livestock/property software/apps), attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be currently residing in Australia as an Australian/New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent and may be subject to other security/medical/character check requirements.
Please note that this role also requires you to be physically able to undertake specific non-negotiable tasks that are required to complete mixed farming, livestock handling and property maintenance tasks, at times under challenging environmental conditions.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 16 Jan 2022
- NSW - Armidale
- AU$66K to AU$84K + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time